Buying Our First House in France (Part 2)- Still AHHHHH!

Finally 6 June arrived and the fix it man met agent man out at the house.  Dude and I didn’t go that day because it was a Monday and that is one of my busiest work days. However, agent man said he would ensure everything was fine and get the quote over to us.

The day passed without issue and no one called to ask us anything or give us any answers to our questions. Again, we just waited.

After a week went by and still no sign of a quote, I contacted agent man. He said he would look into it and let me know. About 15 minutes later he let me know that fix it man had not finished his quote. What was the deal here? I am use to people giving me quotes within 48 hours. Wow! Quadruple that and you might be on target here. So we waited some more. I kept hearing the Jeopardy theme song in my head, only I just couldn’t guess when we were ever gone know how much this crack was going to cost us.

Finally, two weeks after fix it man and agent man met, our agent sent us the quote. The *S* hit the fan when Dude and I saw how much it was going to be. That dumb quote that we had waited all this time for was to the tune of 10 000 Euros and we were not singing, let me tell you. We were pissed! I was already at my out of pocket limit with the payment on the house, there was no way we could come up with another 10 Gs to get that fixed.

So Dude had an idea, we would contact the agent to see if we could split the cost with the seller. It was worth a shot, if you don’t ask, you don’t know. That is just what I did, only I couldn’t get a hold of the agent for 3 whole days! Now it’s 24 June and we are getting closer to the final signing. When I finally get a hold of him, do you know what he said? He said that he couldn’t do anything. That I had to tell my notaire, who had to contact the seller’s notaire, who had to contact the seller and then the answer would go the same route only backwards. Well, there goes another week down the drain!

So that night I emailed our notaire with the quote attached asking if the sellers could chip in and help a “sista” and “bro” out.  Again, we played the waiting game.

The following Tuesday was when we finally heard from the notaire. Here we were on the 28 June, with only two weeks to go for signing and we were still messing around. Well, she calls and says that the sellers said a big, fat NO to us. Of course, they had not obligation since it was not a condition that it be fixed before we would buy the house in the “compromis”. So there ya go, we weren’t too happy, but there wasn’t a whole lot we could do at this point. So, I called the bank to talk to our agent who was in charge of our loan and guess what? She wasn’t there. She was on vacation until Tuesday of the following week! I swear we have the rottenest luck of anyone I know. There is that Jeopardy theme song again. So we WAITED until the following week.

Finally, Tuesday 5 July rolls around. Yes, folks it is now July, and a month since fix it man went out to the house to give us a bid. Can you believe it?!  Time means nothing to these guys here. So first thing in the morning, Dude and I went down to the bank to see our agent. We stood around for a while and were told that she was too busy that day to see us. We would need to call her to make a RDV, but we couldn’t call her until after 4pm that day. Great, good, fine. Waiting, waiting.

It happened to be Tinki’s birthday that day so we had plans to be at the zoo. Off we went. Towards the end of the day (pretty much 4:01pm to be exact) I phone our agent at the bank to explain the situation and see what we could do about it. She said to come into the bank at 10am the next day to discuss.

We were there at 10am sharp ready for some answers on what we could do. Basically, due to our “compromis” there was nothing we could do (we had to wait a whole extra day to hear that?) We had already been approved for the loan and all was moving along for us to sign by next Tuesday, 12 July. Problem was, we hadn’t turned our loan papers into the bank because of this issue with the crack. Now, with only 6 days left for the signing, if we backed out we would have to pay the sellers 22 000 Euros and come away with NO house! What is this crazy place I am living in?!

Dude and I really wanted the house, that wasn’ t the problem. We just didn’t know where we were going to come up with the money to fix it.

To be continued…………..

Advertisements

About backyardprovence

I was finally able to realized my dream of living in France when I moved here in 2010. I love to read,I love history and road trips. I want to be doing anything outside in the fresh air. I want to have an entire room devoted to a personal library.

Posted on July 28, 2011, in The House of the Farmer and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.

  1. Your story is just taking a scary. turn .. I’ll try to come back later on today to comment on it further as I’ve yet to absorb all the various disasters you have been through. Quel cauchemar! And I thought I was going to have a bad after reading an mail my boss just sent me from his vacation place telling my numbers for this months are under par… I wish I could apologize on behalf of the French people out here. What a hassle…Bon courage!!

    • Well the situation is bad, but luckily, most the French people I meet are super nice to me. So I have no complaints there! I can’t let a few rotten apples spoil the whole basket, now, can I?

  2. Sounds you have had quite the ordeal with buying your house in France. For us, the buying part went very smoothly, getting the seller to move out afterwards was the problem, also getting her to deal with EDF like she was supposed to. I hope all turns out well. I will be waiting to read more of your story.

    • Wow! I didn’t know that getting the seller to move out would be an issue! If they didn’t want to leave, then why sell the house?? That must have been super frustrating. I hope it didn’t take too long to get yourself moved in. As for EDF, I scored big on that one. My real estate agent called both EDF and the local water company and worked out the utilities for me. What luck that was! The agent said that it was so ridiculous even for the French that it was better if the agency did it. It was done in a matter of 20 minutes and 2 days later the water guy came out and gave us a new meter! I couldn’t believe how easy that was! Something easy was nice for a change….

Que pensez-vous?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: